Howard County Wellness Institute
The Howard County Wellness Institute operates under the sponsorship of the Howard County Hospital Foundation. The Howard County Wellness Institute is dedicated to the establishment of a sustainable program of education and support for patients who experience the life changing effects of the Metabolic Illness. The Institute intends to enhance the current medical beliefs and trends in the treatment of diabetes, hyperlipipemia, high blood pressure, and obesity, for all patients seeking care at Howard County Medical Center. We also accept referrals from other healthcare providers as well!
What Classes Do We Offer?
What Do We Offer to Our Participants?
- The opportunity to learn about the metabolic syndrome
- The chance to learn how to effectively modify your lifestyle
- The opportunity to interact and learn with a pharmacist, a diabetes educator, a registered dietician, a fitness instructor, and a Physician Assistant!
- Exercise equipment available includes treadmills, elipticals, expresso bikes, NuSteps, recumbent bikes, weight machines, exercise balls, and free weights!
What is the Cost?
All participants must be evaluated by a medical provider and screened for any disease or medical illness that has the potential to cause harm during the course of exercise treatments. Those tests include:
- A physical examination
- A laboratory examination
- Blood Glucose
- A1C (if diabetic)
- Blood Pressure
- Heart Rate
- Other vital signs as deemed necessary
- Stress Test
- Exercise treadmill, or
- Nuclear stress test
- Other screening tests as requested by the Provider
- A referral to the MSI program
I want to sign up! Now what?
To be a member of the MSI program, you must be referred by a medical provider. In addition, we do require all participants to fill out the appropriate paperwork. Make an appointment with your provider today, by calling our appointment desk at 308-754-5447!